You remember how Champagne Wednesday works: each week, we try a different champagne cocktail to liven up the most boring day of the week. I post the recipe we’re going to try at the beginning of the week, you make it (or your version of it) Wednesday (or as soon as you’re able) and then we all live happily ever after. Oh, and I’ll update the version I use by Thursday afternoon.
This week, we’re going to take one of my favorite things and pair it with another of my favorite things: watermelon and booze. We’ll use this recipe from Fabulous Fête, which includes some gorgeous pictures, if I do say so myself. All you need are : fresh watermelon, fresh mint, lemonade and your favorite champagne or sparkling wine.
Watermelon Champagne Cocktail recipe from Fabulous Fête
I made this tonight and it was pretty fabulous, although I did my own twist on the recipe. It’d be a great brunch drink too, I think, if you start to tire of mimosas.
- 2 cups fresh, chopped watermelon
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2-4 large mint leaves
- 1 187-ml bottle of sparkling wine
- sugar for the rim
- Put the watermelon, lime juice and mint in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Put a few tablespoons of sugar on a plate. Wet the rim of two wine glasses with water and then press the rims down into the sugar until it sticks. Carefully add a few cubes of ice to the glass.
- Fill each glass halfway with the watermelon puree. Then fill the rest with sparkling wine.